My Hometown

Joel - Lebanon, Kentucky
Themes: place

I have learned that no matter how small your hometown is it will always be the place that you call home. My hometown of Lebanon is very small but it used to be even smaller. When I was younger I remember having to go all the way to Campbellsville, which was about fifteen miles away from my house, just to get to the nearest Wal-Mart. The only thing my town used to have was a single Kroger, and at the time I guess that was all it really needed.

Then one year, for some reason, a bunch of wealthy people moved in and took up residence in town. Our house almost immediately became too much for us to pay for so we moved out to the country. A little while after that a construction crew came and put up a Wal-Mart. Then they tore down a couple of rundown old dollar stores to make a parking lot for the Wal-Mart.

A lot of other smaller businesses have tried to build and achieve something in Lebanon but none have ever succeeded. All of them have either been shutdown because nobody went there or because a bigger company bought it out. Once a cinema opened up, but only a handful of people went to it every now and then. They obviously weren’t doing so well so they decided to sell their building to the Wal-Mart that was set up within the next month.

Now a days, there is not much to do. It is still very small, but with a few more additions. I can see it growing before my very eyes every year with the tearing down of the old Wal-Mart and a bigger super Wal-Mart going up.

Through seeing this happen I have learned many things I might not have learned any other way. So, no matter where I go, no matter what I do, I know that I can always come back to the same little town and I can know that there will be people there that will welcome me home with wide open arms.