Erica - Bardstown, Kentucky

My mother is one of the sweetest, most patient, and caring people that I know. Since I was a child I have enjoyed spending time with her knowing that we have a lot in common. Of course we have had our moments when we didn’t exactly see eye to eye but it always brings us closer somehow. She is my hero and my best friend.

Most people would probably think it weird for a teenage girl to have her mother as her best friend, but in my case I don’t think it is weird at all. Sure I have had, and still do have, plenty of girlfriends but as I have grown older I’ve learned that they are very hard to trust. At times when I needed them the most they would turn their back on me. I have felt betrayed many times by best friends and after, we would always seem to drift apart. But, my mother has always been there for me through everything no matter if I was in the right or wrong. She always gave me the best advice and got me through whatever problems I had.

When I was younger, I was very shy and would never take up for myself. My mother taught me to be strong and independent and to not let anyone bring me down because I was “going places.” She is my number one supporter and she believes I can do anything I set my mind to. Everyday I learn something new from her and my respect grows.

Earlier in the year, one of my good friends had a near death experience which I was present for. Afterwards, everything changed between me and this girl because she was in a lot of trouble so we never saw each other. I went through a lot at this time and I found that the only person I could talk to about it was my mom. She really comforted me and got me through it.

I believe that a parent can be your best friend. There’s no one that cares about you or understands you more. If you ever have a problem or do something wrong, no matter how serious it is, they will help you and still love you.