Learn From Your Own Mistakes

Benjamin - Bardstown, Kentucky

I believe you should learn from your own mistakes. It’s what you learn from those mistakes that shape who you grow up to be. You increase your moral knowledge, your sense of responsibility, and discover things about yourself from making mistakes. If I had a nickel for every time I heard my parents say “you should learn from your brother’s mistakes,” I would be filthy rich. You are not supposed to learn from others mistakes because you have a certain road to that will take you to your place in life for example.

It was my eighth grade year and I was at my friend’s house one night with a bunch of guys just messing around having a good time. His parents weren’t home, so we could do anything we wanted. Knowing this, we decided to walk to the gas station up the street to get something to eat and drink.

When we had all checked out at the counter we started walking back to the house. One of my friends turned to me and said “Let’s take some hubcaps off that car over there.” I didn’t really respond right away so he ran over to the car and pulled a hubcap off the left rear end side of the car. Not thinking about the consequences at the time, I also ran over to the car and took a hubcap.

With the hubcap in my hand I walked into my friend’s house and sat it on his kitchen table. Later that night his parents came home and asked us about the hubcap which I had completely forgotten about. I lied saying I found it along the street curb. I truly thought they believed it so I thought I was off the hook. Oh but I was so wrong.

His parents knew all about it and they called my parents the next morning and told them the whole story. My friend and I had to clean the hubcaps and put them back on the car and tell the person who owned the car that we were sorry. My parents grounded me for two weeks; I couldn’t go any where, have anyone over, get on the computer, watch television, or talk on the phone. I literally sat in my room for two weeks looking out the window and listening to music.

I learned a valuable lesson from this experience. You don’t benefit from stealing! It would probably be in your best interest to think about the consequences before acting. I wish I had; it would have saved me a lot of trouble. The most important thing is learn from those mistakes you’ve made. It’s a learning experience that may keep you out of trouble in the future.