Aaron - syracuse, New York

Education today is as important as ever. There are dozens of statistics stating how a college education drastically improves the possibilities for making a decent living. Enrollment in universities is as high as ever, leaving these institutions with greater responsibilities for providing for these students. Assisting these students in gaining a proper education and college experience is primarily funded through donations.

The truth of the matter is that donations are often given and encouraged because of their tax deductible benefit. There is one exception to the rule however, that being that fraternities and sororities can not benefit from these donations on a tax deductible basis. It is claimed that they don’t fall under the greater philanthropy hierarchy.

You may be asking yourselves why fraternities and sororities deserve these funds along with why this is so important to me. For one I reside in Alpha Epsilon Pi, but more importantly 17 other guys reside there as well along with a hundreds of other students around campus. These houses support one of the universities largest issues, that being general housing space. You may recall when the class of 2009 entered the university a floor in the Sheraton had to be used as makeshift dorms because of the lack of housing. As more and more sophomores move into Greek houses more and more space is opened up in dorms across the campus.

Syracuse University can use donated funds for any cause they choose. That may be taking out Donovan Mcnabb when he visits on homecoming weekend, or helping to redo Boland Hall. You may counter my point by saying why should fraternities and sororities receive money but not off campus housing which also helps the housing issue. That question is answered as simply as Greek organizations are non profit and are such a large part of the university, 23% I believe and they are such a large part of what gives campus the feel it does.

Regardless of whether or not you believe in Greek life it should be clear that the students residing there deserve to have their houses updated and improved for safety reasons. Many of these houses are not up to current fire code, and simply cannot afford to make the necessary improvements. As a University organization they deserve the funds to make this possible. The only way this will ever be made possible will be if donations can be made towards Greek life on a tax deductible basis, which will help make it be affordable to donate.