Samantha - Morganville, New Jersey

“Expand Your Horizons”

Life is too precious to waste it in one place. I have always had a passion for traveling: packing up my stuff and going somewhere, even if it is a simple road trip. Travel is something that has become a huge part in my life. I believe that everyone should expand their horizons and travel the world.

I know many of my friends that have lived at home, they never went away from home and now they continue to go to a school close to home. Some of them are my best friends that I’ve known my whole life, but I don’t understand how they are content with doing that. I don’t understand how they aren’t bored with life! I don’t understand how they don’t have the urge to see something new. I guess that for some people, that is what they are used to and it makes them happy. However, I just think that they live that way because they don’t know what they are missing out on. I believe that in order to have experiences, in order to live an interesting and exciting life, you have to travel, you have to explore. You have to get up, go out and do something different with yourself.

Maybe the reason that I feel so strongly about this is because I have always traveled with my parents on family vacations and I’ve loved every place we’ve gone to. They have shown me what a privilege it is to be able to travel and explore the world. There are so many things to see and do, there is never a dull moment when going somewhere that you’ve never been to before and I am so thankful that my parents have treated me to this lifestyle.

Ever since I was a little girl, I had always been used to spending my summers away from home when my parents decided that it was a good idea for me to go to a sleep away camp. Sleep away camp was probably one of the best experiences of my life. It was a little taste of living on my own, and even better, with friends that would one day become my best friends. And when camp got old, I went on a teen tour and traveled America with a busload of 40 kids my age. It was one of the most memorable trips I’ve ever had. This past summer, I even worked on a teen tour as a leader and traveled with high school kids and six other staff members.

The experiences that come with traveling are unlike any other times you could imagine and they are incomparable to staying at home. I am always looking for somewhere to go and something to do. I consider myself so lucky to be able to have done the things that I have. I plan on traveling until I physically can’t. I plan on seeing everything I can see in my lifetime and I believe that everyone should take advantage of the world we live in and see it all.