Do You Believe in Rock and Roll?

Rachel - Narberth, Pennsylvania

Close your eyes and picture yourself listening to your favorite song, dancing with friends, alone driving with the windows down, or sitting around the Christmas tree with your family. Think about what song is playing in the background and what it means to you. That meaning is individual and special. That meaning is important.

“Do you believe in Rock and Roll? Can music save your mortal soul?” When I got this assignment that is the first thing that popped into my head. It is my favorite line from the song “American Pie” and it is a question that I can fully answer yes to. Yes I believe in music. I believe that music has the ability to create emotions and my heal problems. Music is something that I have always turned to when feeling any emotion, from elation to devastation. Music is my support system.

I grew up with parents that immersed me in their music, where on the weekends I can remember sitting on the floor of our living room and my parents playing me their favorite records. Now when I hear those same songs I am taken back to my childhood. I can picture my dad playing “A boy named Sue” by Johnny Cash and thinking it was the funniest thing I had ever heard. I can remember my mom playing Van Morrison’s “Brown eyed girl” and her telling me that it was her song. I cherish those memories.

Everyone can connect certain moments in his or her life to music. Whether it was the song that was playing during your first kiss, or the song you listened to get you through the emotional loss of a loved one passing away, music has an ability to help you make connections to your past. My dad loves to tell the story of how when my parents brought me home from the hospital I would never sleep and the only thing that would put me to bed was the Talking Heads live concert Stop Making Sense. Those songs have always reminded me of my dad; even if I don’t remember the exact moments I spent with him listening to them. Clearly music helps me retain those ties to my past as I grow and change. Those memories make the foundation of who I am today.

I also find myself always using music to help me cope with any issues that are affecting my life, and I hold the belief that I can get through problems with a set of certain songs that always make me feel good. Music is more than a song, it is a friend that I can always turn to, who does not pass judgment, but rather lets me feel my emotions, and is there to help me get over life’s hurdles.

I believe that anyone can use music in the way I do, as a support system.

So, do you believe in rock and roll?