Nicholas - Bardstown, Kentucky

I Believe in Working for What You Want

People nowadays, mainly kids and young adults, think that they can just ask for what they want and that they will get it. I know that when I was younger, I could ask for something for Christmas and I would probably get it. I didn’t ask for anything that was too crazy like a car, but I could get something that was affordable.

Some people were not as privileged as I was when I was younger, and I didn’t realize that until I was a little older. My parents started to tell me that if I wanted something, then I have to go outside and cut the grass. That is when I realized that as you get older people start to think of you as young adult and decide that it is time for you to start to work. When my parents first told me to that I had to cut the grass or clean my room before I could go out and see a movie with my friends, I was shocked. I didn’t want to do anything except hang out with my neighbors or play sports. So I didn’t clean my room or cut the grass. Later that week I asked if I could go to the movies. I thought that they would let me, but then they said “No”. I was upset and went into my room and watched TV for the night. The next day I got up and cleaned my room and helped my dad cut the grass. I learned my lesson this time.

Now that I am older and have a vehicle, I have to pay for my own gas and anything else that I want. My parents still give me a little money every now and then to help me out, but I still have to buy most of the things that I want. There are two things in my life that I spend most of my money on. The first thing is a car which is usually very expensive to take care of and fix up the way that I want to. The other thing is a girlfriend, which is also expensive.

There are some times in my life that I need money when I don’t have any and I have to ask my parents for some. I hate having to ask my parents for money because it makes me feel lazy and that I am stealing money that they worked hard for. I know that most kids don’t care if they take money from their parents, but I believe in working for what you want, not just taking it from other people. People should work for what they want, not just think that others will give it to them.