laura - 40165, Kentucky

I am a firm believer in many things but the most important thing is to be your own person not who someone else wants you to be. Nowadays it’s all about what is on TV and what all the famous people are doing or wearing. Some young girls try to resemble people like Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie, which in my mind are two people who should not even be on TV, much less idolized.

For example, when I go out shopping at the mall, all you can find are the clothes that are “in style” whatever that means. I do not like the newer styles that are out nowadays; for example short skirts that barely cover you up. I am not one to follow the new styles of clothing and try to be someone that I’m not. I am always going to be my own person!

Going to parties and places with my friends you don’t always know who is going to be there. So say you are at this party and someone tries to pressure you into drinking or drugs and they say “everyone is doing it”. Most teenagers most likely would try one of the two only because everyone is doing it.

Last year I went to a big party with one of my good friends. When I got there I walked in realizing that I knew no one except for my friend. Most people there were drinking or smoking something., they kept asking me repeatedly if I wanted to try it. I was the only one who disagreed repeatedly, although half of them said they thought the same way I did. Hours later I was still the only one who had not done anything.

Although I was being pressured, I stayed true to myself and chose not to do what everybody else was doing. I chose to be my own person. I felt proud because the choice was a hard one to make. I feel that I am this way because of the way my parents raised me. They raised me to think for myself and that actions speak louder that words. Others will remember more the actions that you made and less of what you say.

If you are ever are in this situation, I urge you to also be yourself. Do not give in to peer pressure. Stay true to yourself.