Callista - Syracuse, New York

Genuinely Nice People

I believe in being a genuinely nice person to everyone around me.

Over the weekend I went to lunch with a couple in town from Seattle for the University of Washington versus Syracuse football game. I had never met them before but my Dad has worked with them in the past and they remembered that he had a daughter going to Syracuse. They went out of their way to contact me and to work around my busy schedule in order to find a time to meet. It would have been much easier to just go out to lunch by themselves or with other University of Washington alumni but they decided to get to know a random college student and it made my day.

Originally being from Seattle, people ask me all the time what the biggest difference is between the West and East Coasts. After over two years at SU I have decided that while I have gotten to know many amazing people from the East Coast, people from the West Coast are more kind to strangers and much more willing meet new people. My personal experiences have led me to believe that people on the West Coast are more likely to consider you a friend until you do something to prove otherwise, while people I have met on the East Coast expect you to prove yourself as a friend before they will treat you like one.

Regardless of which coast you reside on, it is a fact that it takes more muscles in your face to frown than to smile and you will still make it to class on time if you take two extra seconds to hold the door open for someone.

I believe in common courtesy and showing kindness to people regardless of whether or not it might benefit you in the future. You do not have to wait until you need notes to get to know someone in your class and you do not have to see someone as a potential hookup to start a conversation at the bar.

I believe in saying hi to strangers. I believe in assuming someone is worth knowing from the start. I believe that striving to be as sincere as possible will attract nicer people in my own life. I believe that just one smile can make the world a better place.

I strongly believe in being a genuinely nice person to everyone around me and that nice guys do not finish last.