Lindsey - Bardstown, Kentucky

I Believe

Friends are a very important thing in my life. I have friends that I am very close to and acquaintances that I talk to sometimes. Like a lot of people in the world today, I also have enemies. I think every teenage girl has a lot of drama and enemies in her life. Most of the time though, all the drama and hatred is for stupid, unnecessary reasons. I believe that you should keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

I had this friend who was one of the greatest girls I think I have ever been friends with. She cared about other people and always had the prettiest smile on her face. Her name was Britney. Brit and I were really good friends beginning my freshman year. Brit and I went to games together, and took dance classes together. I never saw Brit in a bad mood and if she was she didn’t ever show it.

I had a boyfriend that I had been dating almost a year named Justin. Justin and I broke up after a year, but still remained friends. Britney called me one night and confessed that she liked him and that they were talking. I was very mad at her and really mad at Justin for even thinking about dating one of my friends. They did eventually start dating, and I ended up forgiving them. I knew I couldn’t hang out with Brit though because she would be with Justin. I didn’t want to hang out with them both together. Britney and I were still friends but didn’t talk on the phone anymore and we rarely sent text messages to each other. When we would see each other we would say “hey” and share a hug. Britney and Justin broke up about 2 months after they started dating, but Britney and I never really got back to hanging out. I think my biggest mistake was getting mad in the first place. It was just a stupid teenage immature move.

Britney died about a month ago. I don’t know how to put this without putting it too bluntly, but all I can say was it was her “choice” to die. I had not talked to her in so long, so I couldn’t tell you what was going on in her life. Britney was always so happy. She never showed any kind of bad emotions. It is still so hard to believe that she’s gone. What if I had never been mad at her? Would we still be close?

I saw her the week before at the fair and gave her a hug and her exact words were “I miss you!” These were the last words I ever heard from her, and now I am saying that to her everyday at St. Joseph Graveyard. It is so hard to believe that’s where I have to go to see her. So I will say it again, “Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.”