Alex - USA
Themes: purpose, question

Fernando’s “This I Believe” speech was very well thought out and developed. He chose to focus on the idea that everything happens for a reason. While this topic is well document and some may say “cliche”, Fernando did an excellent job of keeping his speech original and relevant. He chose to focus on some of the unfortunate events that had happened recently in his life and how they have reinforced his belief that everything happens for a reason.

Fernando does a great job of using detailed examples to draw the audience in and help visualize what he is speaking about. He chooses to spend the majority of his time speaking about the mishaps he had with a car that he had purchased for his summer internship. These mishaps engage the audience and help us relate to Fernando.

Fernando then speaks about all of the problems his family has had to endure in their lives and how he realizes that no matter how big or small the problem, he is blessed to be alive and well.

I think Fernando could improve his speech by focusing on the the reasons that events in his life have happened. He does a great job of explaining the events, however, does not totally come full circle and explain why he thinks each event happened, as his thesis suggests he will.

I think he implies that the reason for his mishaps with the car were to let him realize how lucky he is to be alive, but I believe he should be more direct in stating this.

Overall, a solid speech, that could be great with some minor improvements.