Jessica - Overland Park, Kansas
Themes: place, purpose

Everything Happens For a Reason Speech

As teenagers we tend to think that just a small change of plans can ruin our lives. That’s why I wanted to introduce my theory to all of you that everything happens for a reason.

There are three examples that I’d like to share with you as of why I believe everything happens for a reason. I don’t believe that God makes the decisions in our life, but simply knows what our decisions are going to be before we make them. And he lets us make these decisions so that we can experience the joy, understand sadness and learn from our mistakes.

My first example occurred before I was even born. 21 years ago my mom at the age of 20 found out she was pregnant. Whether to have the baby was not an option, but whether to keep it was. When I was born, my mom fell in love with me the moment she saw my 2’14’’ ounce body. This ended up to be a good thing because after I was born she found out she had a disease that made her unable to have children again. If she had given me up for adoption my mom would never have had a biological child.

My second example is me going to Syracuse University. Syracuse was not my first choice school. I loved Richmond from the moment that I walked onto its campus. It was just beautiful. I applied early decision and a week before school deadlines were due I found out I didn’t get in. It was horrible; I applied to 8 schools in the first week of winter break. I got accepted to all of the other schools and didn’t decide on Syracuse until the day of the deadline. I came here thinking I would hate it, but I have the best friends possible and I love my major, a major that I would not be able to study at Richmond.

The last example also involves Syracuse. It was spring reception before freshman year. I had met a girl from Boston whose boyfriend was going to Boston College. I had also loved Boston College so we had that in common. Unfortunately the girl did not get accepted there and she was completely upset that her and her boyfriend would be going to different schools in the fall. She was the only girl I met that day and it ended up that she lived on the same floor as me freshman year. To this day I count her as one of my best friends. Oh and the boyfriend, well he dumped her two days before freshman year.

So you’ve heard my stories, these are just a few of many that lead me to believe that everything happens for a reason. Because of this I tend not to worry about the little things in life. Because I don’t worry a lot I feel I’m a healthier person, I’m barely sick, knock on wood and I enjoy my life.