Alexa - Syracuse, New York

This I Believe…

A soul of an artist and the drive of an entrepreneur…I am a “paintbrush” creating a life canvas one stroke at a time. I know some people try to figure out a dramatic experience that has changed their lives and set them in a direction of study, but for me it has been several steps. I believe in personal development.

I believe in the steady progression of an individual. Overcoming challenging tasks, maturing, and learning from mistakes seem to create significant personal growth. All throughout my life I have battled positive and negative experiences that have helped me focus my soul and increase my personal drive.

Drawing, painting and creating have always been my release and my fun. Ever since I was young I have developed my creative soul through art and social exposure. I would like to think I was a free young spirit open to new people, new experiences, and new outcomes. This, along with family support ultimately enhanced my self-confidence. I learned to be assertive and create a spirit of innovativeness with passion and belief. Although obtaining an entrepreneurial spirit develops over a period of time, there are no limits for personal development.

This past summer, though, my priorities became clearer to me. My mother and I were cleaning out a closet where we stored art supplies and came across pieces I had done ten to twelve years ago. We started reminiscing. I could not hold back my tears. Feelings I had nine, ten and eleven years ago came back to me in waves. For days I relived those feelings. Those days of reflection brought out what I knew deep inside all the time. I cannot and will not sacrifice my artist’s soul for my entrepreneurial spirit, nor will I sacrifice my entrepreneurial spirit for my artist’s soul.

Throughout my early years of personal development I have no disbelief that a person can feel satisfied without creating their own spiritual soul. Although every person takes a different path in life, satisfaction is difficult to obtain. For me, I want “my cake and eat it too.” Therefore, it is important to me that my entrepreneurial drive be nourished, but it is imperative to me that my artist’s soul be given the freedom to grow in a creative atmosphere, where I can mesh my creative soul and entrepreneurial spirit to continue my path of personal development. I believe in personal development.

No one experience has changed my life, but one realization has helped me focus my life. I am a “paintbrush” creating a life canvas one stroke at a time.