Trishana - Syracuse, New York
Themes: integrity, love

There have been many experiences throughout my life that I felt I would NEVER get through, but it is amazing how time enables you to cope or even heal those instances. I have found that love and honesty will persevere because when all else fails those are the intangible elements that are left behind. Love cannot be controlled as fluidly as honesty, which is why I believe honesty is powerful. It seems that some lies occur before anyone recognizes just how badly the truth will hurt when it comes to light. Leading me to believe that being truthful is a learned behavior, you are learning to be aware of how others will feel and taking control of your actions. It is much easier to lie in certain situations, to avoid negative reactions. On the other hand, being honest in these instances takes a great deal of effort. For instance, lying about where you are at a given moment only to run into the person you are dodging may not seem like a big deal, but depending on who it was and why you lied that could be a horrid experience!

You may be wondering why this so important, but for me it stems from all the empty promises made to me as a child. When I was younger, I never considered the fact that anyone would lie to me. If someone told me they were going to do something I took their word. Now I see it as a life lesson, one has that allowed me to see the value of love and honesty. I do not recall anyone doing anything to intentionally hurt me, but every blatant lie makes me wonder how someone could have the audacity to face me knowing that they are being deceitful. It is an ongoing frustration that has really struck a nerve!

My vision in life is to be as close to truth as humanly possible. There are so many things people lie about, things that make life more complicated. It is one of the few things that may not be a generalization, the fact that humans lie. How often, when, where, and why may differ, but all aside lies occur. Statements like “it’s too good to be true” or “all good things come to an end” would be obsolete, if only the truth prevailed at all times and at any cost. Sure, telling a little white lie may seem harmless, but what if that “minor” event is not so minute to the others involved?