Jane - Albany, New York

I believe that dogs help the mental health of the people that surround them. It is very seldom that I have noticed someone upset when they are around a dog. Dogs not only are playful and cute, but they are loving, caring and nurturing animals. Dogs can love in a way that no other human could ever love. At first, of course, this love develops from their main basic need- food- but dogs then turn into children, family members and friends. When my grandmother passed away a few years ago, not only was my dog sad that she was gone, but was also sad to see her family upset. My dog may have been the single most comforting factor for each of my family members during our grieving process. Dogs can absolutely sense human feelings. My dog was able to recognize when we were sad or angry and she was always there to make us smile and there to greet us after my grandmother’s wake and funeral. Seeing her made us smile, and we were able to forget about what a difficult day it had been. Without having my dog to come back to, we would not have had anything to be happy about when we arrived home.

Dogs are also capable of attachment just as humans are. As much as I love my dog, I have never been her main caregiver. It is usually either my father or mother who ends up walking and feeding her. Still, my dog is so excited to see me when I come home after being at school for several months. It seems to be so much excitement in her that she doesn’t know how to handle it! She scoots around and cries and squeals- cries of happiness of course. This is why I believe that a dog’s love is not solely based on their needs.

Dog’s truly are a man’s best friend. As long as a dog is well taken care of, a dog will always love his or her owner. A dog’s owner is their favorite person in the world. I believe that if they could, they would dogs would do anything for them! Dogs protect their families and their homes, often without being trained to do so. On a lighter note, dogs open up a new social environment for their owners and families. I spent time at a nearby lake this weekend with my friend and her dog. We met so many other dog owners and had great conversations. We were able to exchange a lot of information, had a great time in doing so! The different types of people we met were types of people that we may have never met other wise. They were old, young, single and married. No matter how different we were from all of them, we had the common ground of having a dog.