Josh - Endwell, New York

I believe that practice and determination makes perfect is not just a saying, but the truth. For me practice is not something wanted to do. Between school and sports I was always able to keep up with everyone without doing anything extra. All the way throughout middle school I never pushed myself to be the best that I can be. That all had to change once I hit high-school.

Sports were not hard for me to keep up in. I was a little on the heavier side, but was still able to keep up with everyone else in my class. That changed when I first tried out for my freshman basketball team. Both in seventh and eighth grade I tried out and was cut from the team both times. I was the type who just blew it off and did not let anybody see that it hurt, especially the second year.

My dad always told me that if I practiced I could be the best at anything I did, and the summer after eighth grade there was not a single day where I did not have the ball in my hands. Even if the other kids were not at the park, I was…dribbling, shooting and running. I was determined, not just to be on the team but to be the best. It finally paid off because when it was time for the season to start up again I was not just on the team but asked to tryout for the junior-varsity team as well.

For me practicing did not just help me out with athletics, but it propelled me in my studies as well. I was an honor to high honor roll student all the way throughout my grade school years. It was a totally different story when I hit college though. From first grade until twelfth I rarely studied, I did my homework, but just enough to get the grades I needed. My freshman year of college I was rudely awakened when I realized that my “BSing” days were over.

I found out that you cannot just ease your way by and not expect it to catch up with you. My first two semesters were very rough. By missing classes, not studying enough and falling behind all hurt me in the end. I thought that just doing what I did in high school would be good enough, but that was wrong. That all changed my sophomore year when I was determined to get my GPA higher and raise the standards for myself.

I am still not where I want to be with my GPA but if I keep practicing my skills and keeping on top of my game I feel that by the time I graduate I will be where I want to be. It just shows that practice and determination can get you where you want to be. For me it was academics and athletics, but it consists in all parts of life.