Bethany - Waukee, Iowa

I believe in the unseen things of life.

People constantly say, “Life is about what’s real. If I can see it and physically touch it, then it is real”, but I believe that life is more about the things a person can’t see with the physical eye or touch with their hand. Everyday I’m faced with things I cannot see or touch like faith, hope, love, imagination, the future, etc. Now love can be seen through people’s actions, but who knows the actual shape or form of love. Faith and hope can be sensed within one’s own person, but people on the outside cannot see it. Imagination is the very essence and definition of things unseen, but is enjoyed solely by the individual. My future is definitely unseen and untouched, but I know it still exists. I base my life upon one thing that is never seen… a still small voice.

My life has seen its many inconsistencies, but the one thing that has been constant through it all is this small, gentle voice. This voice has no face and is only heard by me, and no I am not crazy, but it helps me make some of the roughest decisions in my life as well as the minuscule ones, like what to write for this essay. It is a small voice that can easily be missed, but a powerfully, wise voice that seems to always know what’s best for me. This voice was never anything more than a counselor or adviser to me until I faced my darkest moment.

My freshman year of college was my most difficult year. My difficulties weren’t based on a singular occurrence, but rather it was the year when I began to deal with pains and hurts that held me back for so long. I became angry with myself and with the advising voice that I quickly lost control over everything. My emotions and my anger got the better of me, and I didn’t know how to stop it. Toward the end of that year I lost full control over my self that even the voice became silent. I was utterly alone in my self pity that I had no way of stopping myself from trying to end my life. As I cried that night, I felt a presence in my room. I felt a gentle, but firm hand grab my arm from reaching the pills and then strong arms hold me tight in a warm embrace. Then I heard it, the voice said, “I love you.”

I believe in the things that are unseen, in the still, small voice that keeps me true and becomes an invisible presence when needed.