C - Cambria Heights, New York

I believe the best thing you can do for yourself is to do something that makes you happy. This is important because you can gain a lot more if you’re interested in the job and career that you have. Most people will try to do their best if they are doing something that they like and enjoy.

Last year I decided that I wanted to be a resident advisor because I wanted to save money. I had no idea what this job had in store for me, I spoke with a lot of people about the position they would say it looks good on your resume. In my mind, I felt that I was helping myself by not having any loans and having this great position on my resume. When I started my job it didn’t bother me that students would call you in the middle of the night asking me for help because they locked themselves out of their rooms. It didn’t bother me that I wasn’t able to hangout with my friends in certain environments out of fear that I might get fired. It also didn’t bother me that I had weekly meets for 2 and half hours. As time went on, my friends would ask me, why are you a RA? The only answer I could give them was that I was saving money.

Recently, I have been asking myself this same question, why am I an RA? I could not give myself an answer that wasn’t about money. This is not my passion; this is not something that I get up everyday saying that I fulfilled my life by being a RA. Although this a temporary job, I believe that I must do something that makes me happy and this job defiantly doesn’t make me happy. I dread going to my one on ones, staff meeting, and being on duty. The only thing that is keeping me in this job is that I want to be there for my residents. They really look up to me and appreciate the time that I do spend with them. I realize that it is important to have someone that truly cares about you other than your family members when you are on a huge campus. It makes the time go by much quicker and it you are able to do your best at your academics. Helping my residents that’s the only fulfillment I get out of this job everything else has not been enjoyable. But one day I will find that happiness in some kind of career later on in life. As the author H. Jackson Brown, Jr. says “People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they’re not on your road doesn’t mean they’ve gotten lost”. I am glad that I had this experience and now I know now that money doesn’t make me happy, doing something that I enjoy makes me happy.