Rachel - Indianola, Iowa

“Strive for Your Goals and Ambitions”

I believe in having goals and ambitions. Most importantly, I believe that these goals are possible even though there may be obstacles in the way. Throughout my life I have always been working towards achieving something, whether I was in high school running cross country, or in college laying down the path for my future. Every time I completed what I was striving for, I felt a great deal of accomplishment. Even though a goal may not seem feasible, I believe there are always steps that can be taken that will help make that dream a possibility.

During my sophomore year of high school, a friend convinced me to run cross country. I had always admired the students that ran cross country and wanted to do it myself. However, I could barely run around a track once without having to stop and catch my breath. I knew running ten times that amount would require a lot of hard work. There were days that I questioned myself as to why I was putting myself through this and wanted to just give up. I kept reminding myself of the end goal and how much I had accomplished so far. I never did give up and finished out the season strong. I was so proud of myself for achieving a goal I had had for such a long time.

Another aspiration that I have had while in college was to be a better public speaker. I have never liked to give speeches or presentations and really wanted to get over this fear. I decided that the best way to accomplish this goal would be to just face it head-on. I took a biology course called Infectious Diseases knowing that the final project was a 45 minute presentation given by myself. This may have just been a minor inconvenience to some but for me, who was horrified at the idea of getting up and speaking to a class, it was a big challenge. I made it through the class and again was proud of my accomplishment. Now that the class is over, I still do not enjoy speaking in front of others, but I am not as nervous about it as I was before.

Right now, a big goal of mine is to attend optometry school next year. It is a profession that will allow me to help people and an area that I really want to continue my education in. I am working on the application process and will hopefully hear back from schools soon. I know being accepted to and completing optometry school are big goals, but I am determined to see myself accomplish this dream of mine. There may be obstacles in my way and the path may not always be the easiest. However, I just have to think about my past accomplishments and know that working hard will allow me to succeed in the dreams and goals that I have.