Ian - Syracuse, New York
Themes: forgiveness

I believe that everyone should be given a second chance.

Second chances are what give people their true identity and character to see if they can truly bounce back and redeem themselves from what they have done in their past. Second chances give a person an opportunity to make things right when before they made the wrong. When you get that second chance, you must do everything in your power to change the view of yourself to other people from how they viewed you before.

For me, all I needed was a second chance. It gave me that opportunity to change that perception that people had of me. It took time for me to get that second chance, but once it was given to me I took full advantage of it. It took time for people to give me that chance to redeem myself and to give myself a good name.

Sometimes people do not believe in second chances and that is sad. Everyone make mistakes and it is hard for people to overlook the bad decisions someone has done. People focus so much on what has already occurred that it is difficult for them to overlook what has happened and do not believe that person can change. It is especially difficult when the person giving the second chance only knows you from what have you done wrong.

2 years out of high school, I was looking for that second chance. I needed to get out of an environment that was up to no good and go back to school. I felt that going back to school and playing football would be my second chance in life. Not many schools would take a guy that had been out of high school for two years and done nothing but negative things in those two years. Finally one school did and the only thing this coach knew about me is what he had heard from other people. He took a risk and was willing to give me that second chance but gave a me a short leash to walk on.

Since most schools turned me down and did not want to give me what I needed, I knew I had to take advantage of the one that was given to me. So, that is what I did. I graduated from my junior college with an AA degree in a year and a half and earned a scholarship to Syracuse University to play a football and get a bachelor’s degree.

I am a true example of what second chances are all about. A coach took a risk on someone who he didn’t even know, and gave me the opportunity to better myself and a chance to earn a degree from a prestigious university. I truly believe in second chances.