Emily - Indianola, Iowa

I believe cats are remedies for the miseries of life.

Since I can remember, cats have been apart of my life. My family has always been the proud, loving, and devoted owners of a least two cats at once. My mother brought our first cat into the family. His name was Peter, and he was my first experience with the affection of cats.

On Easter morning, at the age of two, I awoke early, not to look for my Easter basket, not to adown my brand-new, snowy white Easter Sunday dress and bonnet, but to find comfort for my skyrocketing fever and itchy red blotches. I had contracted my first and only case of chicken pox. Unlike so many other children who were awaking to sneak candy left by the Easter Bunny and prepare for church, I was huddled on the coach in my pink bath robe with a thermometer in my mouth, the thought of eating anything, even chocolate Easter bunnies, driven completely away. While I slipped in and out of sleep on that eventless Easter Sunday, my cat Peter remained at my side. When I look back at pictures from that day, because the first case of chicken pox is a photogenic occasion, I see a large, furry, gray consult keeping me company and keeping me happy.

Since Peter my family has owned, and continues to own three other felines. Lucy was the only girl of her litter and my pick for our next cat. Nelson was a kitten from a cardboard box, picked-up on a whim by my father, and Zoe fell from a farmer’s tree and into our lives, broken tail and all. Each of these precious animals found it’s way into my heart, however, possibly due to her young age and adventurous spirit, Zoe holds a special place in my life.

Last fall, during my junior year of college, I was heartbroken when the boy that I loved ended our three-year relationship. My life seemed to crumble before me and I no longer had a sense of who I was or what I wanted out of life. Devastated, I drove home for the weekend and spent the majority of the time crying in my bedroom. However, from the second I arrived at my parent’s house, my feline comrade Zoe was by my side. At a time in life when nothing seemed to give me comfort, Zoe snuggled her furry ears and prickly whiskers up to my head and lay next to me each and every moment.

At times, life’s miseries seem ever present and all consuming. It’s at these times that prayers are sent heavenward, seeking remedies from the pain and anguish. On more than one occasion, and frankly, more occasions than I can count, remedies have been sent to me in the form of cats. These creatures have presented comfort, affection, and compassion, feelings not found in every human and a strong argument for why cats are remedies for the miseries of life.