Cindy - Syracuse, New York

On Monday September 12, 2005 at 10:26 am my beautiful baby girl was born. This might seem striking seeing as though I am only 20 years old but age has nothing to do with the experience that comes with being a parent. Of course being an 18-year-old mother was going to be rough but you get nowhere in life without some kind of struggle, and this is where it all started.

Because of this big change in my life I was forced to make some major decisions. I had only completed my first year in college and I had taken a semester off because of my pregnancy. I thought this was supposed to be a good point in my life instead I was bombarded with rumors and doubts of me returning to school and just becoming a statistic. On the other end I had my school being very supportive in allowing me the time off without it affecting anything, however my family and boyfriend were pressuring me to transfer schools in order to be home with my daughter.

With all this I began to weigh my options. Syracuse University was my number one choice and I really didn’t want to leave it. I worked hard to get here, how could I leave after just one year. Then I thought it was selfish of me to think this way. I didn’t want my daughter to spend the first three years of her life not knowing who I was. With all the social pressures around me I decided to go against the grain and just return to Syracuse and frequently visit home on the weekends. This was one of the greatest decisions I’ve ever made. I got to stay at the college of my choice and get the great education that will be promising to my future, which will in turn be promising to my daughters’ future. I will financially be able to take care of her and provide her with anything she needs. In addition I have many friends on campus who have cars and are willing to take me home whenever they are heading down to NYC. Between rides and the bus I get home about three weekends a month which is great. There is no discrepancy as to who I am in my daughters’ life; she calls me mommy whenever she sees me or speaks to me over the phone. Nothing is more gratifying than that.

It all worked out for the better and I am a living example that you can have a baby at a young age, get an education and be successful. I am now in my senior year getting ready to graduate in the spring and I owe it to myself and those who believed in