Christina - syracue, New York

I believe I was born in a low- middle income neighborhood in the Bronx borough of New York City. I believe that the crime and gang- violence rate, at that time, was at one of its highest. I believe that since the tender age of 3, my mom enrolled me catholic schools. I remember that, aside from my home, this was a place where I felt safe and , as a result, excelled academically. I believe that outside of the classroom, I had a lot of street smarts. A number of my friends did a lot of inconceivable things. Nevertheless, I cared for them and they cared for me. Surprisingly, I learned some valuable life lessons from being around them. I believe that at the age of 9 my parents separated and the following year my grandmother passed away. It was definitely one of the hardest times in my life. At the age of 14 my mom moved me to Newark, NJ. I’m sure that Newark is ranked in the top 5 for the highest crime rating in the state of NJ. I remember when we first moved there, I was afraid to walk to the corner store because I was so unaware and uncomfortable in my new surroundings. I began to attend Rutgers Prep High School and continued to do well academically. A few years later, I was accepted in the School of Management here at SU. So, here I am now a senior- majoring in Marketing and Supply Chain Management with plans to continue on to grad school. I believe that where you come from can be a factor in the kind of person that you are but it doesn’t have to factor in on who you can become or what you can accomplish. I believe that I’ve been through a lot of things in my life but have not let that stop me. All of my life, I have believed that I could overcome and I now know that I’ve succeeded.