Andrew - Syracuse, New York

Anything and everything is possible…this I believe. This statement is my life and everything I do revolves around it. My open mind comes from my intense existence. I was born into a military lifestyle and never stayed in one place for too long. Both of my parents came from the poorest backgrounds and always did well enough just to get by. My closest friends were the ones that society hated. Drugs, theft, and violence engulfed our lives and future. Most army kids don’t come from wealthy stable families and grow up to be angels. I believed at an early age that I along with everyone I cared about would struggle their whole life and that they would accept it. I had this vision of my family being shit on by people who thought they were better than them. I could vision my friends having no opportunities for a good life because they believed that what they have is all they will ever have. My frustrations were crazy, but true.

But I was lucky. All this brainwashing led to discouragement and my inability to accept how things are. My inability to accept how things are led to my obsession with changing my family’s and friends’ futures. My obsession with changing their lives and showing them something amazing has led to my passion for doing everything I must to make my illusion real. I believe that if you want something bad enough and you are willing to do anything you possibly can to have it, that eventually you’ll get it. The cause of failure is not because people can’t do things; it is because they won’t do things. I notice that a lot of people talk up a storm but then do nothing to make what they say real. Others make moves to reach a dream and then give up the first time they fail or hit a roadblock. The one reason above all that I know anything is possible is because I’m standing here. Not in jail, dead, or lost in misery which were all things I once thought for sure was going to be me by this time. From just a year ago, I went from almost going to jail, to having a revelation, and then to getting consecutive straight A’s for both semesters and receiving almost every job offer that I went after. If some idiot like me can do that…then I know anyone else can do anything they want. It just depends on how much you really want it. I’ve failed a million times throughout my lifetime and continue to fail at things everyday. But I love my family and friends too much to quit so I’ll stay relentless at reaching my dream. Anything’s possible…and it’s this belief that has driven me to come this far.