Christina - Syracuse, New York

I believe that the best medicine is laughter.

Laughing is what has made me who I am. I am someone who has a good time, whether that is making other laugh, watching a funny movie, or going over with my friends what happened during our adventures. I think these are the moments when I am most content and thankful for everything God has bestowed upon me and those who are close to me.

Making people laugh is a gift, a gift that is well received by all. Hearing someone laugh is in essence the music of my soul. I love to hear people laugh: someone on the subway, my friends laughing at me (hopefully sometimes with me), my mom after a hard day at work, or my personal favorite my dad when he is watching a movie.

I even love the different sounds that laughter can come in; cackles, chuckles, roars, snorts, shrills, well maybe not so much shrills. I think laughter is your soul’s megaphone. Just as your eyes are the windows, I feel that laughter is your soul giving the world another peak inside of you.

I believe that laughing your way through life adds years to it and takes away those damn holiday pounds (as we all know laughing does burn calories!). A good laugh is one that starts from the stomach, rolls up your throat and practically leaps from your mouth. One of my best friends, Jill, has the best laugh. She throws her head back, opens her mouth very wide and laughs extremely loud. She can never get through a story because she is laughing the entire time! Life cannot get any better at these moments.

Most importantly, is the ability to laugh at yourself. I believe that in doing so displays confidence, a character trait that I regard with the utmost respect. I believe that being able to laugh at yourself leaves lasting impressions on others, the good kind! Laughing puts people at ease with you, allows each of us to connect on a personal level. I believe that laughter can provide our nation with the glue we need right now in times of turmoil and distraught.

I believe that laughter can heal all. I believe that laughing should be a daily part of our lives; we need to find humor in the small things. I challenge you to think of a knock-knock joke or “roses are red, violets are blue” rhyme when you have some free time. Think of it as a daily dose of medicine for yourself.