Michael - Tobyhanna, Pennsylvania

I believe in resilience. When people are faced with setbacks in life they can either go two ways north or south. North meaning they were heading towards something and got thrown off track but are back, or south meaning that they hit a bump in the road and allowed themselves to veer off course. I strongly believe that anyone that has achieved to what we define as success either being monetary or fame. They all have run into a problem that could have prohibited them for reaching that peak. My example for resilience is my mother. She immigrated to America from Peru. Right off the bat she was hit with a challenge, a language barrier. She came to America with a B.A in mathematics knowing that the odds were against here for finding a job. She then married my father someone she knew she loved but couldn’t communicate well with so began self teach herself to speak and read in English. She gave birth to my older brother, knowing that she would have to help in providing for the family. She took up a job at basically what is called a sweat shop, she worked 15 hour days to earn marginal amount of money. She was definitely over qualified for the job. I guarantee the people she worked with or for didn’t have a degree from an accredited school in Peru. We didn’t have a car so my family mainly took public transportation to get to and from work. We couldn’t afford a babysitter so my mom carried me when I was a baby to and from and to get to the right subway leading to queens she had to walk a couple of miles each day. Soon the cost of having two children were starting to put a strain financially on things so my mom worked two jobs. Everything that would cause a regular person to have an anxiety attack my mom took it with stride. She never once thought to herself why me? She continued to work two jobs while my brother and I were growing up. She managed to afford to send us into a private school even though it meant she couldn’t treat herself to some of the nice things she deserved. Today my family is financially stable and my mom has a PH.D from NYU and is a principle in New York City but one day I hope I can buy her whatever she wants and shower her with money and jewels.