Danielle - Indianola, Iowa

I believe that life is supposed to be a struggle, so that you appreciate the easy things when they come around. I was adopted back in January of 1990 by my grandparents. I struggled throughout school being the smart, fat kid who lived on a farm, and therefore got nicknamed Smelly Shelley. I have never been close with my parents, but I know them enough to know what I don’t want to be like.

Most of the members of my family are farmers, so there has never been anyone go to college before. Being the first in my family to go to college has been very difficult, but very exciting at the same time. Getting straight A’s in high school is not an indication about what grades you’re going to get in college, but somehow, my family doesn’t understand that. They expect me to get straight A’s throughout college.

I believe that life is supposed to be a struggle. After I graduated high school, I moved out of my grandparents’ house. I am currently an independent student and pay for all of my tuition and rent while I’m in school. I am a senior in college and I plan on teaching high school mathematics when I graduate. There are many things that I have had to struggle with throughout life, but when I look back at all of the things that I’ve accomplished because of those struggles- I wouldn’t change a thing.

With everything that has happened in my life, I know that each and every one of those struggles was for a reason. God put amazing people in my life to help me through those struggles and now I can fully appreciate all of the wonderful things in my life.