Danny - Matawan, New Jersey

When I was younger I used to be a boy scout. At first it was my choice, as a kid my father so a boy scout and I guess that meant I had to be a boy scout too. Now, I can honestly say that may have been the best decision he ever made for me, however I always didn’t feel like that.

Being a boy scout in middle school and high school is something you don’t go around telling people. Luckily for me, most of my friends were in it with me so we always kept it very “hush hush.” Looking back at those times I don’t understand why we wouldn’t tell people. I would have the best times of my life at campouts, and the week long summer camp we would attend every year would be the highlight of my summer, and my friends would feel the same way. I guess the fact that I was one of the “cool kids” in school had a big factor on how I wanted people to view me. I wanted people to think that I was “bad ass”, not a little boy running around in the woods.

The thing is if you were observing my old friends and me, I can guarantee you can tell who was in scouts and who wasn’t. The values that were instilled in me through scouting shaped the way I conduct myself. I act more trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave clean, and reverent. If you didn’t already know, that is the scout law and to be honest it subconsciously shaped the way I conduct myself. It has got me jobs, good relationship with many people, and even the ladies.

While in scouts, I worked my way up the ranks, both in leadership roles and in advancement. I went from assistant patrol leader, to patrol leader for two years, and then to senior patrol leader, the highest leadership role you can achieve. As I stated before I also advanced through the ranks. I went from tenderfoot, second class, first class, star, life, and eventually eagle.

My only regret in scouts was not achieving the rank of eagle with my friends. Unfortunately they didn’t meet the requirements by the eighteenth birthdays. This rank has also helped me in life as well. I now but it on every job application I will ever submit, I used it to get into college, and I even use it to get ladies (just joking).

In conclusion, the most secret aspect of my life at one point, is now one of the most proud accomplishments anyone could achieve. It takes a lot of long hard work to achieve Eagle and many kids, including some of my best friends, don’t make it. However, the one reason I know I made it was because of my dad.