Megan - Babylon, New York

I believe laughter is the best medicine. They say a smile is contagious, and I truly believe a positive attitude and happy state of mind can help ease any pain.

I am sure I think this way mostly because of the influence my grandmother has had on my life. When I was very young, my grandmother was diagnosed with advanced lung cancer, doctors warned our family that she may only have about 5 more months with us. Shocking many doctors, my grandmother lived in good spirits for another 5 years. And although I was young, I can remember spending my summers over her house and being entertained by her high school stories and sense of humor. Even when her illness was at its worse, she still managed to crack a joke and make everyone laugh. I believe this is what kept her alive and well, never letting her sickness get the best of her, and constant support by the rest of our family.

My grandmother was an amazing woman who died when I was only 11 years old, but her impact on me is something that I will never loose. Her strength and perseverance is something i will always admire.