Edny - USA
Themes: golden rule

“This I Believe…”

I believe that you should treat others the way you would like to be treated. Ever since I was a young girl, I’ve been very influenced by my family. I take into consideration everything that they have to say to me, good or bad. My family is really close and whatever they have to say to me I would listen and take into account. Among all the things I’ve been taught by my family, there are several things that I’ve kept and will stay as a part of me. I have a strong belief in karma; in other words, what comes around goes back around.

I first was told about karma by my mother; she always said that if you did something to someone, it would come right back to you. This could be either good or bad. I used to think that this was her way of having a certain level of control over me especially since she couldn’t be there with me every single time of the day. My mother wanted me to set a good example for myself and others; by teaching me about karma she did so. Not only my mother, but my grandmother would repeat it to me as well, they are strong believers in the fact that we should do to individuals only the things that we would like other to do to us. As I got older I was able to apply this philosophy of life to my own self. It was no longer a saying; I adopted it as my own way of approaching life.

I have experienced karma myself, and seen it happen to others, such as relatives and friends. One of the most recent experiences I had was one in which I made fun of a person that tripped and fell at the mall. I laughed for a while and told everyone about it. To my surprise, that same weekend I tripped and fell in front of a young crowd of people. After this, I could only remember the fact that I had made fun of someone in a similar situation earlier that same week. Other things similar to what I previously mentioned have happened to others. It doesn’t necessarily have to be bad things, if you do good deeds they will come back to you as well.

It might be a myth to some or a saying to others, but to me karma is a strong belief that I will tell others. It is because of these experiences and my family’s influence that I am a true believer of the saying: “what goes around comes back around”, better known as karma.