Barrett - Syracuse, New York

Living in Moderation

I believe it is important to live in moderation, in order to lead an enjoyable and diversified life.

Every day, I am a witness to others suffering and living unhappily due to the development of bad habits or just overindulging in activities which they once loved to do. As I began to come into my element as a young child, my father was the perfect example of why it is important to lead a diversified life and live in moderation. He became addicted to alcohol and cigarettes and it eventually led to unhappiness throughout my family and the eventual divorce of my parents. At this point I began to realize that many things we do in our life, are only as enjoyable as they are, if we mix things up and don’t overdue them.

As I approached my teenage years, my father, as well as myself had exemplified the importance of living in moderation. I was infatuated with basketball and baseball, mainly because of my family. After years of practicing these sports day in and day out, I became sick of the two sports that I once loved. I took them for granted, rather than playing them moderately. As a result, I diversified the time I had and dedicated it to other activities such as tennis, running, school work, and even more time with friends. It finally hit me that I would lead a much happier life if I lived moderately, even in regards to the things I loved. Everything can be over done at one point or another if we don’t diversify the events in our lives and it almost always will ultimately lead to discontent.

My social life began to take off as I made my way through high school. I observed and listened to many friends and others complain about the sports they played, the music they practiced, or even the food they ate and it made them unhappy inside. It would be complete hypocrisy for me to deny that I wasn’t one of them. During high school, we all did many things be too much, which made them no longer enjoyable. From playing sports, to drinking, all the way to eating, living moderately will allow you to be happier because you’re not doing the same activities over and over. We all get sick of the things we do, the jobs we have, the games we play at some point, which is why it is important to recognize the value of living moderately, rather than extremely.

Evolving into an adult over the past year or two has made me realize why I place such great concern in regards to living moderately. I truly believe that the vast majority of ventures that take place in our lives are only enjoyable if we are willing to be moderate with them. When we are willing to be moderate about the events that take place in our lives and the things we do, it will lead to diversification, which leads to new experiences and an enhancement of our maturity. If we mix things up we will be happier because we are learning about the world and the people in it. How many people do you personally know that have made a habit of something and they stopped doing it completely, just because they were sick of doing it? Nobody or at least 99% of people don’t want to do the same thing every day of their lives because it gets old too fast, and almost always leads to unhappiness.

I am a person who lives in moderation. This I believe: live in moderation and it will mix your life up and lead to happiness because you’re filling your life with new experiences and new people. Life is too short to do the same thing everyday.