Teresa - Demarest, New Jersey

I believe that your personal style as well as the way you carry yourself is extremely important throughout life. When I was younger, I didn’t really have much of a personal style since my mom would buy me the same Old Navy fleece jacket that everyone else had at school. I never thought twice about what I was wearing. In the fifth grade, I bought my own clothes with the money I had made from my very successful garage sale and I remember feeling this great sense of self-awareness. I felt good in what I was wearing and it showed in the way that I carried myself. I was more confident and felt strong in knowing that I chose my outfit. Through the transition from fifth grade to high school, I realized that people made stereotypes and labels based on what you were wearing and how you presented yourself. People made plenty of judgments about one another without really knowing them solely based on appearance and demeanor. That experience only reaffirmed my belief in the impact that personal style had in life. Now that I’m in college and done with that part of my life, I realize that the judgment is ongoing. Even when I go for a job interview, appropriate wardrobe choice is a necessary component in whether they would hire me or not. Unfortunately, people will always judge based on personal style throughout my life but fortunately by recognizing this affect that fashion has on how people perceive me, I can make more considerations into how I present myself. Ultimately, my personal fashion sense is just another extension of my personality and I don’t want to be misrepresented. So for me, that’s why I put a lot of effort into my style and always will throughout the different stages of my life.