John - Evansville, Indiana

This I believe

I believe that what goes around, comes around. This means that any good or bad that you do comes back to you. Maybe not in kind, and certainly not immediately. But sometime, in some way, your actions come back to you. I think of it as a corollary to the Golden Rule: Do unto others as you would have them do unto you, because eventually, they will. I believe this applies to individuals, to groups, to companies or organizations, to nations and to the people of the earth as a whole.

I don’t know how many other people believe that what goes around comes around. I would think that if they did this, we wouldn’t see things such as discrimination, partisanship, misuse of natural resources, war and terror or even someone passing a long line of cars even when they know their lane is ending. Maybe they don’t believe because a big problem with things coming ‘round is that it usually doesn’t happen in a timely manner. It could take days, months, years, or more than a lifetime. But I still believe that things do come around, even if it is in the afterlife or for our children or their children.

I certainly haven’t lived every moment of my life as though this is something I truly believe. I hope that for the most part I have. And I hope I have enough time left and enough foresight, to at least make up enough good for me, my family, and the world to benefit from my life and deeds.

I’ve grown a little older and now have two young children. I’ve thought about what I would like to leave them with. While there are many things, I think I would put this belief at the top of the list. So I appreciate the opportunity for others to listen in as I give this simple advice to my daughters:

Morgan & Sydney,

Try to do good in all things that you do. Because in large and small ways, near and far times, what goes around, comes around. This I believe.