Adam - Syracuse, New York
Themes: hope

Life can be rough. Everyone experiences unhappy times in their lives and I’m no exception. Yet, though certain periods in my life have been extremely painful, I have come to learn that things will get better. Quite simply, I am an optimist.

Throughout most of my life, however, I considered people who were blindly optimistic to be out of touch with reality. This was especially true during my freshman and sophomore years of high school. Without getting into too much detail, I can say that those two years constituted the most trying period in my life, and it felt as though it would never end.

But it did, mostly because of three new friends. They changed my outlook on life by giving me something to be happy about everyday. This is when I began to reconsider how I felt about optimism. Once things had turned around, it was not that difficult for me to believe that the next rough patch in my life could be overcome as well. I did not know it then, but my new attitude towards life would be very comforting a year later during another hard time in my life. In addition, the outcome was extremely positive, and everything was resolved better than I could have imagined.

I am optimistic towards more than just the troubles in my life, however. For any situation in life, I have found find that more often than not, things will work out for the better. For instance, my girlfriend, and long time best friend, not only got into the school of her choice (something I desperately wanted for her), but it also happens to be just an hour away, making our long distance relationship not so long.

Even the smallest things in life have shown me that I should be more optimistic. The best examples of this are school assignments. To illustrate, my high school chemistry teacher once declared that a paper due the following day would instead be due after the weekend. This story tends to stick out it my mind because that week had been particularly busy, and as a consequence, I had been planning to complete not only the chemistry essay, but also an English class project, all in that one night. I had never been as worried about schoolwork as I was then, because I did not think I could get it all done in one night, and therefore, I would have to turn in an assignment late for the first time in my life. Certainly, this story does not represent a common occurrence, but it does symbolize how I have come to view the items on my agenda and things in my life that may be of less significance. One way or another, my work always gets done on time. In terms of a bigger picture, it gives me confidence that even the little things in life will go well.

I have found that my optimism has made me a better person in general. I know that when things are down, they’ll get better. It has made me believe that, eventually, life tends to work out okay. It has given me confidence in situations when a lot is on my plate, by reducing my stress and helping me to relax. I am happier now than I have ever been and it is because I have learned to be optimistic.