“I believe in true friendship”

Jason - Indianola, Iowa

I believe that the bond made between true friends is never failing never ending and is as close as a bond between siblings. The endless help, compassion, comfort, bliss and gratitude that comes with a true friendship is a blessing that no trouble or evil can sever. With true friends one can only live a fulfilled life not matter what else happens in that life.

I was a freshman at Simpson College when I learned just how important and true my friends were to me. Coming into college I was like every other freshman, excited to be away from home but apprehensive about being away from the helping arms of my parents and family. I however quickly found a family at school with the members of a national fraternity. I quickly made friends in and out of the fraternity and soon college was my life. I did not think about or miss home as much, but that all changed one day in November.

I woke up one day with a stiff back that lead into a migraine and a trip to the clinic. When we got to the clinic they gave me and my brother, who had driven me there, the worst news. They told us that they believed I had meningitis and needed to go to the hospital in Des Moines. That thirty minute drive and the days to follow made me realize that without true friends one is only living a half life.

When we got to the hospital they told us that it was not the deadly kind of meningitis but they believed it was a viral type of meningitis that would go away in four or five days. So the next four or five days I spent in and out of the hospital with times where my fraternity brother had to carry me in a chair down three flights of steps to get to the hospital. After they carried me down the steps they sat in the waiting room for hours to see if I would be ok.

After the whole ordeal I looked back and realized that these were my true friends and that they would do anything for me. Often one thinks of a friend as someone to hang out with or to confide in but true friends are so much more. True friends are there for you when normal friends run away. They are there when you can not make it on your own. They give you comfort when nothing else can, even hospital pain killers. True friends are people that make your life what it is and if you take even one away you will be less of a person because true friends are not just another person they are part of you. By being a true friend you live a committed life, not just to yourself but to your friends, because if you are a true friend you help that friend just by being you, for this I believe.