Stephanie - Roslyn Heights, New York

This I believe karma is a way to equalize people. People often wonder why things happen to certain people. Often people put blame upon others if something were to go wrong; however, the unfortunate circumstances come about due to the idea of karma. Through my experiences with Buddhist traditions and philosophies, Karma is each person’s reward or punishment for their actions. This idea is regarded as a persons’ fate or destiny. The idea of “what goes around comes around” is based off of the belief known as karma. If one were to act in goodwill, that person will be endowed with positive outcomes. However, if one were to act in a negative manner, one might be faced with unfavorable consequences.

Karma does not discriminate based on race, gender, religion, nor ethnicity. It reacts to the action one makes. We have always been told to “do onto others, as we want done onto us.” If we were to treat each other equally with a sense of respect, this world, I believe, would be a happier place. People would be mindful of others and adhere to everyone else’s beliefs because that is the way that people want to be treated.

I have come to the conclusion if one performs a good deed, one can be rewarded later in life. However, due to karma, bad deeds do not go unpunished. Helping and aiding one another will benefit one’s future and will enhance one’s being. With the increase knowledge of karma, hopefully, people will realize that we are all equals and each person has a duty in life to be fulfilled.