Robert - Brooklyn, New York

I believe that the saddest thing in life is wasted talent and the choices we make dictate the life we live. A quote made famous in Robert De Niro’s A Bronx Tale, never has a movie quote resonated to be so true. Life is all about potential and choices. Everyone has the potential to be great if they make the right decisions. As college students we have the opportunity that unfortunately millions of other people around the world could only dream about. Education is the key to success and we have the chance to receive an education that will prove to be invaluable in the future. It would be a disservice to not only ourselves but to those not lucky enough to be in our situation to waste this opportunity by just getting without living up to the potential that we all possess. It is important that we use the skills which we were given to perform to the best of our abilities. We see it all the time, a person with all the opportunity in the world fall succumb to the temptations we face for whatever the reason. It could be due to greed, bad judgment, laziness or just indifference but people form all forms of life waste their talent. It’s a tragedy to see athletes like Michael Vick and other high-profile celebrities ruin their careers and the livelihood of their families due to poor judgment. They were blessed with extraordinary ability that they ultimately wasted due to bad decision-making. However, it isn’t just celebrities who waste their talent. How many times have you heard about or known someone who by all accounts was a great person with a bright future but ruined their lives due to driving drunk or some other bad decision. I myself have done some things that could have jeopardized my future but I was lucky enough get away with those decisions relatively unscathed. Next time I may not be so lucky and I know plenty of people who weren’t. That is why, especially as college students, we should not let this great opportunity slip through our fingertips. We have the ability and the resources to be whatever we want to be. It is imperative that at the end of our four years here we leave knowing that our time here was well spent and that we got the most out of ourselves. If upon graduation you leave college knowing that you didn’t try your best or absorb as much as possible it will not only be a waste of time and money, it will also be a waste of personal growth.

Nothing in life is worse than making poor decisions that hinder your ability to live up to your potential. Whether it be a teacher, a businessman, a writer, a mother, a father, or a friend everyone has the ability to be excel at something. If you work hard and do the right thing good things will come to you. Life is too short and too important to let it waste away.