Benjamin - Syracuse, New York
Themes: courage

I believe in living life with courage. Taking life and making it mine. I believe in living life with no regrets. Why should I fear something that could kill me in ten years when I could just as easily die today? Life is too short to waste. Why not indulge and live life to the fullest instead of in fear. This is the kind of life I try to live everyday no matter what situation I am put in good or bad. The only thing I fear is living a meaningless life one without passion or thrills.

Recently I traveled to Colombia, a country that has been notorious for crime, war and drug trade. I traveled here because I thought it would be a new experience most people wouldn’t be able to say they had done. It proved to be true as I stayed in numerous hostels in red light districts that were bustling with locals and very few tourists. Courage, for me is the belief that new experiences will make me braver and able to cope with situations I otherwise would feel alien to. The trip was a breath of fresh air a way to have more courage in different environments. By exposing myself to these kinds of situations I am able to grow and become more of a person.

Colombia however, is just the tip of the iceberg I believe much of my courage comes from my friends and family. They give me that extra push to move forward and follow my dreams. My family and friends have always been there to show me how to overcome my fears. It is incredible to me how much courage has shaped my life and is always making me, I hope, a little less ignorant. Without my family or friends around to help me get that extra bit of courage I don’t think I would be the same person I am today.

I believe I am a person who will take advantage of a situation and not feel regret later. A person who loves life and is not afraid of the consequences life can deal. I believe I have the ability to not fear death because that is what holds restraints. My life would be lost without the courage to overcome fear. I believe that it is my courage that guides me and it is my courage that will one day kill me not fear.