Melissa - Bronx, New York
Themes: carpe diem

I believe that there is no good reason to dwell on the negatives in life. Sure there are a lot of terrible situations whether they be familial or emotional, but dwelling on the negative will only get you stuck in a pattern of no return. Some people become manic depressive, others suicidal.

When we’re going through life and we experience any pitfalls in our relationships or jobs for example, it’s very easy to think “Why me? Why does this always happen to me?” and the more people think like that the deeper and deeper of an emotional spiral the fall into. I feel that these people need to learn to let go they need to learn to analyze their situation thoroughly, have a full grasp of why something happened, and then let it go.

I’ve learned this lesson. It took me some time to realize that I was living in the past throughout high school, replaying in my head events that had already happened. Sulking in my sadness, my need to charge my situation and not having the power to do so jailed me. Not soon after all I would do was go home and think and think and think, and my mood would get more and more blue.

Then one day I realized “Man, I’m too young to be so depressed about life!” I know I was in a rough situation, but wasn’t I making it worse by the way I was reacting to it? I never really wanted to laugh and I never wanted to hang out with my friends anymore. I wasn’t doing anything to make my thinking change. I was going through this huge circle. That’s when I put my foot down with myself and no longer allowed it. No longer was I wasting my youth. So I made the biggest effort in getting back with my friends again and they helped me see how great life can be if you just move on after each bad experience. It’s not like you forget what troubles you went through, because you can’t, they help build character. You just learn to roll with the punches.

I believe that if people were to learn to see life in that sense there wouldn’t be so much depression. They’d learn to appreciate the nicer things in life, the times that make life bearable, and worth overlooking all that negative energy we encounter. I’ve learned that life is too beautiful to waste.