Alex - syracuse, New York
Themes: love

This I believe in fate.

Great loves in this world today cannot be sought out in bars, college parties, or speed dating; there’s no way to formally search or test for love, it just happens. During my years of high school I never had a girlfriend, I watched as my friends slipped in and out of relationships silently yearning for a chance to have someone that wanted me as I wanted them. It’s a psychology that over time affects a person’s self worth and confidence. Little did I realize that the woman I love would soon drop into my life as if it were fate.

By no means am I an overly spiritual person, in fact I would describe myself as a person who always has to have the answers. However, as many of you have experienced in life, sometimes we can’t explain why certain events unfold. In April of 2005, I like many of the incoming freshmen, was visiting Syracuse University as a prospective student. I remember touring through all the buildings and interviewing with different professors. I remember myself standing in the Newhouse building that afternoon as Dean Reubin finished his introductory speech and began to split up the future students into groups based upon their academic interests. At the time I was very unsure of any major I would declare so I did what any teenage boy would have done at that time, I followed a pretty girl that caught my eye in the Newhouse foyer, soon to find myself in a small classroom being lectured in photography. My disinterest in the subject was offset with the stunning girl sitting across from me listening intently to the professor I was sure I would never meet.

Shortly after the small group discussions, it was time to separate the parents and children into two groups so that the new students could learn about college, and the parents could learn how to pay for college. I sat down in a much bigger classroom this time, and five minutes later to my pleasant surprise, the girl I was sitting across from just a few minutes before was now sitting in the seat right next to mine. We struck up brief conversation where she had informed me that she still wasn’t sure whether she was attending Syracuse or not, and later after the question and answer lecture, we parted ways and left for home. I was loves-struck. As I met up with my dad I bragged to him that I had already met a girl at college; jokingly calling her my future girlfriend. As I finished my high school exams not much more thought had gone into the meeting with “my future girlfriend” until the day I, along with thousands of other freshman, learned about a creepy little social tool known as “facebook.” As I was flipping through profiles of all my future classmates, as many of us did during that long summer before school, someone had caught my attention the same way she had months before in the foyer of Newhouse I. As we were both excited to have a friend at school we had began to send each other facebook messages the next few weeks, during which I continued to brag to my dad and friends that she clearly chose to attend SU after meeting me. My friends called me a creep and rolled their eyes when I told them I had met the girl of my dreams already, but I didn’t care. A few before school our student housing forms came in and I was first disappointed to learn that I would be living far away in floor 9 of Lawrinson Hall, I was quickly elated to hear that “my future girlfriend” would astonishingly be living right above me on floor 10 of Lawrinson Hall. She was the first and only person I wished to see as I moved in freshman year, and I never felt more excited to see her that day.

Chelsea and I have been dating for just about two years now. For the first time in my life I have found someone I can trust and love, and someone who loves and appreciates me as well. My relationship with her has become something I can really rely on and care for. While I know that I have control over my decisions and the ability to direct myself in life, there are some things that seem that they were just meant to be. I believe that if it weren’t for fate, I would never have met the girl of my dreams.