Life After Death?

Brittany - Kyle, Texas
Themes: death, legacy

“To be, or not to be? That is the question.” When William Shakespeare penned those words, he had no idea that one day, hundreds of years later, millions of people would know this phrase and who wrote them. Though he may have died in the 1600s, Shakespeare lives on through his works, plays, and poems. Similarly, Anne Frank lives on through her diary. Benjamin Franklin’s discovery of electricity has made him live through the ages. And my Uncle Bo will live on in my family through memory.

I believe that there is life after death. Through works, writings, actions, and memories people can live forever. My Uncle Bo died seven years ago, and although he’s no longer with us, we still talk about him and laugh about some of his more outrageous moments at family dinners and holidays. Every time I turn on the light, Benjamin Franklin’s discovery is put to use and we are reminded of him. Reading Anne Frank’s diary takes us deeper into her life and each time someone reads it they are more aware of the dangers she faced and how she grew to be a young woman. In Shakespeare’s dramas we find entertainment, and each time they’re read we’re left with a little piece of Shakespeare himself. Though we my never meet or talk to these people, their lives have touched us in some way, and through their accomplishments and memories, they will live forever. Even though death separates us physically, it does no separate us completely.