Elizabeth - Kyle, Texas

I believe in falling. I believe that falling down teaches me a lot of things. Falling teaches me humility, and it teaches me what not to do, but more importantly, it teaches me how to get back on my feet.

I am a nationally competitive gymnast. I have literally fallen more times than I can count. Most of the time, falling is very painful, and if I can’t figure out what I am doing wrong and fix it, falling can be frustrating, too. Often when I crash I do not want to get up and go again. Sometimes I just want to give up, but I don’t. I get up. I go again, and in the end I finally succeed. I stay on the beam, or I catch the bar, or I stick the landing, and that victory outweighs all of the falling down.

This summer, I had a particularly nasty fall. I was trying to do a new element, and I hit the ground. It knocked the wind out of me. Naturally, I was frightened and I did not want to go again. I didn’t either, for at least a week. Then one day, I got up my courage and I tried again. I didn’t get it perfect the first time, and to this day, I don’t get it perfect every time. Sometimes I fall, but I get up and try again.

This is the most important thing that life has taught me so far; that it is okay to fall, as long as you get back on your feet, go get some chalk, and get back on the bar.