Amanda - Buda, Texas

“This I believe”

I believe in the power of laughter. I believe that laughter can heal something as simple as a scrap on the knee, or mourning over the death of a loved one. A simple laugh can distract me from thinking about the scrap and then afterward I completely forget the pain that the scrap caused. When you lose a loved one all you want to do is just stay to yourself and cry, but when you have someone there laughing with you remembering all of the good memories about the loved one, it switches the mourning into remembrance and eventually, laughter is what will get you through the loss.

When my uncle past away this year, my family used laughter to heal us from the pain of the loss. When I think of my Uncle Don, one thing always comes to mind, he knew how to make me laugh and that’s what I loved about him. No matter what kind of mood I was in he would make it better by making a joke that caused me to laugh. Even at his funeral he had everyone laughing from all of the memories he left. After the funeral I came out feeling joyous, which is a feeling that I don’t usually get from a funeral, but I knew in this situation it was normal because it was my Uncle Don’s funeral.

I know first hand way joy laughter can bring. It makes me feel alive and in the moment, it is like all of the bad stuff that is going on in the world no longer exists when I am laughing together with friends and family. I believe that a day without laughter is a day not lived to the fullest.