Joseph - Buda, Texas

As a kid I was taught, as I’m sure most of you were, to “never judge a book by its cover.” This, of course, refers to people rather than the literal meaning of the term. However, as I got older I realized that people, myself included, tend to make quick assumptions about someone based on their first impression of them. I believe to always make a good first impression, because you never know when someone might be making assumptions about you.

I think as a society we have realized this. That is why when interviewing for a job you are supposed to look nice, be polite, and try to show your best qualities in hopes to make a good first impression. That is why when you have company over you clean the house and show your guest your best manners.

My point however, is not to condemn someone based on your first impression of them, but rather to “put your best foot forward.” Making a first impression does not necessarily have to be appearance, but also in how you present yourself, your attitude, and your tone of voice. This does not mean to put on a front, but rather to show your most interesting and sincere qualities first, because even though you may not know it, your first impression may leave a lasting impression on someone else.