There’s Always Something Better

Nick - Buda, Texas

For every cow who has ever thought the grass was greener on the other side, for every football player who wanted to be 10 lbs bigger, for every redneck who wanted to raise their truck just a few more inches… There is always something better. The cows with the greener grass want the taller grass, the bigger football players want to be faster football players, and the rednecks with the monster trucks will wish they had bigger tires. That’s just the way life is.

There will always be room for improvement. Whether you have the highest SAT score or you run the fastest forty yards, you can always do better. The president of the United States is no different than the bums on the side of the street in the respect that they can improve.

My time in California was a time of constant “ooohs” and “ahhhs” as fast sports cars, insanely expensive luxury cars, movie star limos, and pointlessly high-lifted trucks rolled by. The mansions in Laguna, Newport, and Beverly Hills didn’t slow down those exclamations either. Realizing that wanting those as badly as I did was a waste of effort, and to just be happy took time.

While the point of life is to strive for excellence in everything you do, the key to happiness is to realize there will always be something better, something more. People who do not find this out soon enough will drive themselves crazy with envy. Continue to fight, but learn when to compromise with the world and be content with what you have achieved.

So for every redneck, six inches is high enough, for every football player, steroids aren’t worth it, and to all you cows out there, shut up and enjoy your grass.