Alicia - Buda, Texas
Themes: gratitude

I believe that you should be thankful for everything that you have. Millions of people wish to obtain so much more then what they don’t really need. They take life for granted and don’t realize that one day, what they have might not even be there anymore.

Of course, there are many people out there who live life as if they could not want anything else. They accept what they have, rather then wishing for more, even if it is not very much. They give and are very content with their life. But then again, there are probably far more people who just don’t understand being thankful for what they have. They always want more. They want a nicer house, more clothes, more accessories, and they want to obtain a sufficient amount of high-class things. Instead of being thankful for the food that they have, the opportunity to have a house, the clothes and stuff they have, they just want, want, and want. There are many people who can’t even have that. Plenty of people live on the street, shop at goodwill, have to have stuff donated to them, and have no money what so ever. Whereas the selfishness of the most of the wealthy just don’t understand nor do they care.

After Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans, the wealthy just could not understand why there were so many victims left to suffer during the damage. Some of the very prosperous just didn’t comprehend as to why everyone couldn’t just “jump in their Land Rovers with their cases of water bottles” and evacuate to higher ground. Most of the people who were financially able to evacuate before the hurricane hit didn’t even think of the people who may not be able to do that because of their little resources. Victims who stayed behind had nothing but their families and were thankful for them as all their other worldly possessions washed away.

I believe that everyone needs to stop every once in awhile and count their blessings. Think about your last meal and realize that there are people who haven’t had a meal recently. Think about your cloths and shoes. You may not have the most expensive cloths or the latest name brand shoes but what about children going barefoot because their parents can’t afford to continuously buy shoes for their growing feet. I believe in being thankful rather then taking what you have for granted.