Anita - Syracuse, New York
Themes: question

“This I Believe”

When given this assignment in class, I thought it would be a piece of cake, how hard could it possibly be to whip up a less than 500 word essay that I then turn into a speech to present in class. To be honest, now that I am sitting down trying to do this assignment only hours prior to it being due, I really do not know how to write this paper. Something in the back of my head keeps telling me that it really is not that hard to put this altogether. That being said, it has now been almost an hour or two and I have still not been able to come up with a topic.

I can list all the things I do not believe in but somehow I cannot even think of a single thing that I truly believe in. I understand this paper is supposed to not only provide others an insight of the person I am, but also for myself. Now, sitting here thinking about it, it may be because I do not know myself well. I most definitely hope that is not the reason why, or maybe it is because in my culture it is uncommon for a person to so openly express their thoughts and beliefs to almost complete strangers.

I am now starting to worry how I will give a speech for what I have written. The only concrete thing that I came upon was that if anything, I believe in myself. I believe in order to get somewhere in life I have to rely on myself. I cannot blame my mishaps on other people. I do not believe in misfortune. Everything that happens to me is a consequence of my own choices. Nothing and nobody can be blamed for my own misfortunes. Sure, there are accidents that no one can foresee, such as hurricanes and such other natural disasters, but everything else, I have control over. I think I believe this because everything else that went through my mind as I sat here trying to write this, was what I was told, taught, or it was something that was shaped by societal norms. Leading me to believe that I really do not surely know what I believe in.

All in all, I believe that to truly know what I believe, I will have to be exposed to many more experiences in life because finding something I truly believe in takes both time and exposure to life itself. If one day I do indeed find one thing I truly believe in, I will be sure to let my professor know and maybe resubmit another entry to this site.