Jonathan - Buda, Texas

“This I Believe”

I believe in stepping stones. People in general have a way of helping one another in their time of need. Someone comes along in your life, usually when you need them the most, or they need you, and before you know it they are gone forever. At least it feels that way.

Three years ago I was having a hard time in my life. I was doing things I shouldn’t have and the world seemed to collapse around me, suffocating me. When it seemed that the ensuing darkness would stay forever, a ray of light shined through and a hand grabbed mine. I was pulled up out of the darkness and slowly I adjusted my eyes, for what seemed to be the first time in years, only to see the face of a beautiful girl before me.

Slowly over time realizing each others lives were in bad shape we became close shutting off the outside world. I changed her and she changed me about how we viewed the world, our lives, and ourselves as individuals. For three years we depended on one another, and I am not afraid to say that I eventually loved her. Then one day came and she left the safety of my arms taking my broken heart with her.

I realize now several months later that I was just a stepping stone in her life, as she was one in mine. I am not upset knowing that, even if my feelings remain. We loved each other, and were there for each other when nobody else would be. I changed her, and she changed me for the better. To this day we have a hard time talking, and I still care about her a lot, but I am just glad I made her happy when she needed me most. I was able to boost her across the river of her life. In my life I will find many more stepping stones to cross the river of my life upon. I wait eagerly until I unexpectedly find the next one, looking back and thanking the other stones for their help, never forgetting them.