In Love and Friendship

Kelly - Hamilton, Ohio
Themes: family, gratitude

“The world’s an ugly place not to have a best friend”. I’ve seen this quote so many times and every time I do, I understand it even more. Growing up in a very close family, it’s hard for me to hear that some people are not close with their parents or siblings. Coming to college, I expected kids to miss home and call all the time like me, but was surprised when many of them have yet to even mention their family. Each member of my family is my friend. We have fun together and talk together, like any other friendship. I believe that parents and siblings make the perfect candidates for best friends. I also think that everyone deserves that close friendship with another person. Why face the harsh realities alone when you can have someone by your side to get through? Why push away the people who know you the best?

In my opinion, families make the best of friends. Put aside the “I’m too cool to hang out with my parents” mentality and really think about it. Don’t you think it’s weird that your family can always tell when something is wrong, no matter how hard you try to hide it? Usually, kids are embarrassed to be seen with their parents but I’ve discovered that my parents are really great people. Surprisingly, they know a lot about the things I’ve been going through and although I’ve spend a better part of life trying to avoid them, the past few years has been great to have them to talk with. Your family can offer loads of advice that many people can’t. They are able to tell you the actual truth and not just what you want to hear.

I have been lucky enough to be blessed with a twin sister. I have had someone on my side constantly and was never scared to enter into a new situation because I had her with me. High School would have been somewhat scary to the other incoming freshmen, but not me. I didn’t have to worry about where to sit at lunch or who to walk to class with. Besides having a walking buddy, I had someone to confide in. My sister has always been my support system. She keeps me laughing during hard times and knows me better than anyone. I cannot express how blessed I feel to know that I have her in my life and around me in new, or tough, situations.

When you develop this loving relationship, you start to realize that you have a strong need for them to stay in your life. When faced with my decision about college, I talked with my sister to see what she wanted to do. We both realized that it would be just too weird not to be with each other everyday. We haven’t spent more than a few days apart since we were born and to think that she could be hours away right now is agonizing. I am just so thankful that she decided that Bowling Green was the place for her too.

I feel that it is important for siblings to realize early on that they need each other. Usually, siblings develop more of a friendship, instead of a simple co-existence with each other, during their adulthood. If this step is taken before then, it will only make their relationship stronger. I think that it is vital that families stick close together because, let’s face it, at the end of the day they are all we’ve got. My mother always told me, “friends come and go, but families are forever”. It saddens me to think that some people might never find such a rewarding friendship. As we grow up, our relationships change; they become more mature and meaningful. It is my opinion that our family relationships should follow this trend as well. The only way you are going to develop these types of friendships is to open up. You have to be willing to talk to your families and let them into your life.

Although they are somewhat hard to come by, I believe that everyone deserves to have that special and unique relationship that a best friend offers. It’s a relationship in which you have a constant strength to hold you up and an unconditional friendship to last a lifetime. The trust you gain and the loyalty you receive will not only get you through rough times but will allow you to grow in love and friendship.