Elizabeth - Buda/Tx/78610, Texas
Themes: family, hope

My Stepmother Peggy is one of the happiest people I have ever met. She is also the glue that has kept my father and my relationship together at some of our roughest times. Her overall outlook on life is inspiring to me, and her silly little phrases have taught me a great deal over the years.

When I was in doubt of myself Peggy would say something like “Elizabeth, what are the last three letters of American?” I would always answer “I can,” and in a proud voice she would respond, “That’s what I like to hear!” During a particularly hard time I felt as if everything around me was seconds from crumbling. My heart ached as my fathers stress seeped out of him through yelling at me. He seemed like such a miserable person at the time. Peggy told me that the unhappy people and or stressed out people in the world would try to alleviate their loneliness by sucking you in, because misery loves company. The advice she had for me was that, “Those people might win the battle for the day, as you sit in frustration or cry, but never let them win the war. Never let those bad days plague your life.”

From her words and my own experiences I have taken the belief of mind over matter. I believe that optimistic joyous people tend to be the healthy and the cynical and unhappy people who make excuses tend to be the ones who are sickly and fall ill. Mind over matter. Believe it’s okay and it will be.